Do you want a low cost way to learn C programming for microcontrollers? This 300 page book and software CD show you how to use Atmel's $19.99 AVR Butterfly board, Atmel AVR Studio, and the FREE WinAVR C compiler to make a very inexpensive system for using C to develop microcontroller projects.
Students will find the thorough coverage of C explained in the context of microcontrollers to be an invaluable learning aide. Professionals — even those who already know C — will find many useful tested software and hardware examples that will speed their development work.
Test drive the book by downloading the FREE first three chapters as a 39 page pdf file:"Quick Start Guide for Using the WinAVR Compiler with ATMEL's AVR Butterfly."
Note: October 9, 2008; this is a new version of the Quick Start Guide that is upgraded for Windows Vista and the newest Atmel AVR Studio and WinAVR. Chapter 2 is not exactly like the book to accommodate these upgrades.
The included CD has all the source code, the FREE WinAVR C Compiler, Atmel's AVR Studio, Br@y++ Terminal, the ATmega169 Databook, and the Butterfly Source Code.
Note: October 9, 2009; the CD now has two sections: the older perfectly good stuff for before Vista and the new stuff for Vista.
In addition to an in-depth coverage of C, the book has projects for:
- Port I/O reading switches and blinking LEDs
- UART communication with a PC
- Using interrupts, timers, and counters
- Pulse Width Modulation for LED brightness and motor speed control
- Creating a real time clock
- Making music
- ADC: Analog-to-Digital Conversion
- DAC: Digital-to-Analog Conversion
- Voltage, light, and temperature measurement
- Making a slow function generator and digital oscilloscope
- LCD programming
- Writing a finite state machine
The author — an Electrical Engineer, Official Atmel AVR Consultant, and award winning writer — makes the sometimes tedious job of learning C easier by often breaking the in-depth technical exposition with humor and anecdotes detailing his personal experience and misadventures.
1 C Programming for Microcontrollers
1 CD with:
- Book Project's Source Code
- WinAVR C Compiler Tool Set
- Brays Terminal
- ATmega169 Data Book
- 1 – AVR Butterfly
- 1 – CdS Light Sensor
- 1 – Battery Box with Switch (2AA)
- 1 – LED
- 1 – Resistor
- 1 – DB-9 Female Connector
- 1 – 3" Wire
- 1 – Two-pin Header
- 1 – Four-pin Header
- 2 – 10-pin Dual Row Headers
- 1 – Solderless Breadboard
- 1 – Jumper Wire Kit
- 10 – LED Red 3 mm
- 1 – 1N4001 Diode
- 1 – 9V Battery Snap
- 10 – Resistor 1/8W 5% 150 ohm
- 30 – Resistor 1/8W 5% 2.2K ohm
- 1 – Opto-Interrupter H21A1
- 1 – Opto-Isolator 4N25
- 1 – Power Transistor TIP-115
- 1 – Motor DC 6-12V
- 1 – Potentiometer 10K
- 1 – Switch DIP SPST 8-pos